Friday, August 17, 2012

Never by Hot sauce again.





I love hot sauce, I love peppers. Sriracha is my all time favorite, but in a pinch any hot sauce will work to spice up a meal. But like everything else you buy these days there are additives that do not agree with me...not to mention a bottle of this stuff is almost 5.00 (granted it lasts). So I decided to try to make my own. I found a recipe for my own chili sauce but, it wasn't as flavorful as it could be. I like flavor with my heat, hot for the sake of hot is not something I enjoy.  I found that this is versatile, the cost is roughly 1.20 per 1/2 pint and can easily be turned into a kick ass wing sauce with the addition of a bit more vinegar and brown sugar.

MY HOT SAUCE

3 lbs red hot banana peppers (seeded)
3 Thai Chili
1 handful red chili peppers (i forgot to measure)
2 Poblano chili peppers 
3 tbs Gochutgaru (Korean Chili powder) regular chili powder will work in a pinch though. 
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
3/4 cup water
1/8 cup shoyu (soy sauce)
1 tbs fresh ginger-grated
10 cloves fresh garlic
1/2 cup brown sugar (possibly more to taste)
1 tsp salt
3tbs fish sauce




Here is the easy part.

After chopping and de-seeding the peppers (you can leave some seeds in but the more you have the hotter it gets) put it all in a blender and puree.

Put it in a non aluminum pot over low heat and let it simmer for 30 minutes. Stir often. Place into canning jars leaving 1/4 inch head space, can in your pressure canner for 85 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment