Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Breakfast on the go



Breakfast on the go

I am not a breakfast fan. I would rather eat leftover lasagna than eggs and bacon. OK, I am lying about the bacon...who doesn't like bacon. I also tend to get up about 10 minutes prior to having to leave for work...not enough time to cook and trying to eat cereal in the car is not a good idea. The milk gets all over. Add this to the fact that I am not a morning person, cooking, food, people...just about everything annoys me in the morning. Even my students know that I am not functional or human until after the 2nd cup of coffee . My seventh graders are very adept at telling if I have had the proper amount of coffee in the morning. Store bought breakfast sandwiches are expensive, full of fat and preservatives. Cereal involves messy milk and more sugar and preservatives.  Bad for the wallet and the waste line. So whats a picky breakfast eater to do?   I admit that breakfast is just as important as coffee, ok... maybe not for my sanity and other peoples safety, but for health and making it through the day. 

 So what to do? Burritos... the all around answer.  

Why burritos you ask? because they are cheap (this recipe makes 30 for about .40$ each), portable, easy to make, easy to store, only 4 weight watchers points each, take 2 minutes to heat up and can be filled with what ever you want. 

These are also GREAT for camping. Only difference is in the wrapping. Use tinfoil with a bit of pan spray to wrap each one, throw on the camp stove to heat up and serve. 

Ingredients:

30 small flour tortilla
2 dozen eggs (for a healthy version use only the egg whites)  
1 onion
1 cup spinach
1 cup low fat mozzarella  
1 cup bell pepper diced
1 tbs garlic powder
1 tbs parsley
2 cups shredded potato
1 lb turkey bacon cooked crisp and cut into small pieces
optional: saambal or a package of taco seasoning if you prefer a different taste)

In a large bowl combine the egg, onion, pepper, spinach, garlic and parsley.  Scramble the mix until cooked in a pan over medium heat.  

Cook the potato shreds with a bit of salt until browned (i bake mine in the oven on a greased pan for about 20 minutes at 350)

Cook the bacon until crisp. 

Let everything cool and in a large bowl add in the egg mixture, bacon, cheese and potatoes (if you are going for the tex mex flavor add the taco seasoning now)

If you are using saambal or hot sauce this is where it comes in ( i prefer the spice to the taco seasoning myself)

Spread saambal onto one of the tortillas, add two heaping tablespoons of the egg mixture, roll up into a burrito. Wrap in a piece of plastic wrap and repeat until all ingredients are gone. Then freeze. Grab and go. Heat on high in the microwave for 1 minutes, flip and heat for another minutes, then eat and run or run and eat which ever.  

    

___________________________________


A side note- 
I have made this recipe tons of times with lots of variations. You really can add in anything you like, leftover veggies, meat galore, cheesey variety....it's all good.   But each time I make this I get a little lazier in the area of preparation. Don't judge, we all have our lazy moments...Who doesn't. This is a time saving recipe after all, it should not take all day to make.  Instead of cooking each individual component, I now buy a large container of egg beaters, (the egg whites kind if I am being healthy or if I am really lazy the preseasoned south western omelet kind) and mix it with all the other goodies. Dump it all into a large shallow (not too shallow it will spill over) baking dish and bake like a casserole in the oven. Let it cool, cut into desired small portions and wrap each portion with tortilla. :) Even faster, same results. Gotta love it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment