Friday, August 17, 2012

Eggplant Ravioli Filling





Normally I would post a picture of what the filling looks like, but then my readers would run screaming...its not pretty. What it is though, is yummy. I normally like eggplant two ways. As a parmesan or as a roll up stuffed with ricotta. But I had a few left from a farm market excursion (ok so I had 3 of the white ones and one long skinny purplish one) so i decided to get creative.I figured they would make great raviolli, then I figured "why not can the filling for another day!" (actually at this point i was just to lazy to make the raviolli dough so i decided saving it was a better idea. Turns out I was right. It saves on half the work when you already have the filling made.

Eggplant Filling


3 medium white egg plants (ok so, any egg plant will do)
1 long skinny purple egg plant (i think they are Chinese eggplants)
Olive oil (about 1/4 cup)
salt
pepper
2 large purple onion
5 cloves of garlic
1/2 tbs chili flakes (optional)

Roughly cut up all of the vegetables and toss with oil and a touch of salt. Roast in the oven at 300 degrees for about 40-50 minutes.
Let cool and then pulse to mince all ingredients in the food processor.
Prepare your jars and pressure canner as usual. Fill the hot half pint jars and leave 1/2" head space. Place in the pressure canner and following the directions for your canner, can for 85 minutes. The finished product will settle a bit in the jars but thats to be expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment