Sunday, May 6, 2012

Where did the time go!



 

 I have no time. These words come out of my mouth more often than I would care to admit. I cannot imagine how people with kids get through a day without pulling their hair out. What’s worse is when I have no time or have had one of those days where I get home and don’t want to cook because of extreme fatigue brought about by life. I found these are the times I reach for those quick, easy meals. You know the ones. The boxed, canned, fat laden, fast food like things we all keep around the house for just such an occasion. Once in a while is fine. But in my life when it rains it pours and I find myself grabbing for those "quick" meals for days in a row. I have noticed a direct correlation between those days and the arrow on my scale going in the wrong direction. But what to do about it?

The solution-Freezer meals:

I have had on my shelf for years a vacuum sealer. You know those gadgets you buy because you have so many plans for them but in reality they end up on a shelf collecting dust? Well mine has turned into a savior for my rear end. After my major food shopping trip I spend an hour with my trusty kitchen scale and my vacuum sealer, I portion out enough meat for a meal, add all the spices necessary, a marinade or two. Whatever I need to just dump and go. Then I vacuum seal it. Same with the veggies. (I do the veggies separately because they tend to cook faster than the meats. So I label the veg, label the meat (complete with a quick how to on cooking/temperature ect.) and throw it in the freezer. I have quick and easy meals ready to go. Pre-marinated, pre-spiced. Just throw in the oven/skillet and cook up. Most cook just as fast as if I were to grab those nasty pre-made chicken “nuggets” and throw them on a try. No fillers, scratch made home cooking for the girl on the go. 

Here is a sample (keep in mind I am only cooking for 2-3 servings and tend to not eat a ton of meat):
8 oz Raw chicken breast (skin and bone removed) cut into small cubes.
1 tbs minced garlic
2 tsp minced ginger
2 tsp chili pepper sauce (I use sriracha)
2 tbs soy sauce
2 tbs brown sugar
Seal separately:
1 C frozen broccoli
1 C frozen carrot (sliced ones)
Put all of this in a vacuum seal bag, seal and freeze. The directions on the bags read: put in skillet and cook over high heat until chicken is cooked through. Steam or add the vegetables right into the skillet the whole meal takes about 10 minutes. Serve with microwave minute rice or as a lettuce wrap.

In reality you can add anything to these “sealed meals”. Whatever works for you.  

The other option are precooked foods that are easily frozen.   

I also tend to make up large batches of "burgers" and dumplings. These are great grab and go meals. Pre-cooked and ready to eat. Just heat and go. Great for lunches, dinners or snacks. 

 Today was a Burger day.  I made three kinds, it took less than 30 minutes to mix them all and an other hour to bake them all. And i have grab and go meals for a while.  I made veggie bean burgers, Asian pork and tofu burgers and steamed tofu/chicken patties (this recipe is so good that it has its own post on my blog).

VEGETARIAN BEAN BURGERS

Ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment