Sunday, February 12, 2012

Yakiniku Lamb


Every once in a while tofu just doesn't cut it. I managed to get my hands on some lam chops at an extremely reasonable price (otherwise my cheap self would have never bought them), then came the question of what to do with them. I dont cook lamb often enough to have a go-to recipe for it. Matter of fact, I have probably only ever cooked it 3 or 4 times in my life. It wasn't a family favorite as far as meats growing up.  So i did what any good cook would do...i googled recipes, and found nothing I liked. But thanks to my recent addiction to pinterest.com I did find a recipe for Yakiniku Beef. It looked good and I figured what the hell it cant be bad on lamb. Boy was I right. This melted in your mouth and it was very, very hard to not over eat.



Ingredients

Instructions

  •  first fry the ginger and garlic in 1 tsp sesame oil for 1 minute. Add the Sake and Mirin and cook for another 1 minute (high heat) Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for a further 2-4 minutes until the sauce is of a thick consistency. Check the flavor and add any more sugar/honey/salt as needed. Season your lamb with salt and pepper and fry on a skillet. Once the lamb is done remove from the heat and allow to sit for 2 minutes.  Add the lamb then pour over the yakiniku sauce and allow to cook and reduce for a further 2 minutes with the vegetables. If you are not using a sizzling platter then simple cook the vegetables in a wok or frying pan and add the beef to that. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, serve and enjoy. 
I served this with purple rice, scallion and pork dumplings and a side of my homemade kimchi. Yum. and i am not exaggerating on the yum. Also you would think it was a high point weight watchers meal but not really. The lamb itself was only 7 points for 2 chops. Not bad. If this is dieting then I can spend my life eating this way.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment