Monday, June 10, 2013

Canning Season has begun!


Once again canning season is upon us. And just in time. I am down to my last jar of pasta sauce. I made 40 jars last year and it was not enough. I am totally out of salsa, pickles, and many other staples. Time to can. Like always I started in my back yard (only this year I did not plant anything, turns out I hate gardening). I have a rhubarb plant that was given to me by a friend. It goes gangbusters each year. I normally give most of it away, make a pie or two....but this year...its time for Rhubarb & Ginger jam and Rhubarb pickles.

(pretend you see a picture here...i cannot find the camera cord)

Rhubarb Ginger Jam


5 cups fresh Rhubarb - diced
4 T. lime juice
4 t. lemon zest
2 cup water
4 T. fresh ginger
2.5 cup sugar
2-3 mint leaves
Pectin (i used the low sugar kind, just follow the directions on how much)

Combine all ingredients in a thick bottomed pot and cook until rhubarb is tender and falling apart. Place the mint leave on top and let them cook with everything else (remove when it is time to blend) Let it cool and put in the  blender, continue to breakdown the rhubarb till smooth.  Put it back in the pot. Cook on high for 5 to 7 minutes or until it thickens to the gel point. 
Sterilize canning jars. You will need 5-6 half pints, lid, and rings. Ladle the hot recipe into the hot jars, clean the rim, add lids and rings. Process the jars 10 minutes in the water bath. Remove and set jars on the counter overnight undisturbed to set. 
I am not a huge fan of sweet jellies or jams, but this is more sweet/tart. I was licking the spoon. 
I adapted this recipe from:
Canning Homemade!


Rhubarb Pickles

(pretend you see a picture here...i cannot find the camera cord)

I can take no credit for the rhubarb pickles I admit that I found this recipe on Tall Clover Farm's website and decided to try it.  Turned out great. I do think my next batch might include about a 1/2 cup more sugar and some ginger for fun but they are lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment