Monday, January 16, 2012

Cream Cheese..noms

  

Is it Cream Cheese?

Breakfast, the one meal of the day I am picky about. I am not a fan of most breakfast foods. I am also not a fan of eggs (hard boiled is about the only way i like them). Most Cereal is to sweet or had some component i don’t like, not to mention the cost....jeepers. So breakfast for me used to be a bagel, slathered with cream cheese. Loads of cream cheese. I moved to the diet non-fat cream cheese when i tried loosing weight but this presented two problems. One the non fat cream cheese was gross. Two my breakfast still involved a bagel. Either way, not conducive to weight loss. So I did what any healthy minded, carb loving, cream cheese eater would do. I looked into how to make my own. I figured I was able to revamp almost every recipe to something weight loss friendly, why NOT cream cheese! I found the simplest thing on earth. Yogurt. I love yogurt. Non-Fat Yogurt + Cheese cloth = cream cheese. Its a bit tangy. But I add in some cinnamon and a touch of stevia for sweet and i have my own cream cheese spread that’s so low in points its almost a sin. Once i had the cream cheese it was time to find a solution to the age old problem of ...what do i spread it on? While walking through my local Wegmans one day i discovered the solution. Pops...I know what you are thinking...pops? those nasty corn based cereal kids like. No not those pops. These are whole wheat/grain popped rice disks the size of a small dinner plate. 6 of them is 3 points. I eat 3 per breakfast. 1.5 points for the pops. 1 Point for the cream cheese...and I have a 2.5 point breakfast! Perfection!

Source:  http://www.madebylex.com/2010/12/making-your-own-cream-cheese-couldnt-be-easier.html

It was tangier than regular cream cheese but the consistency and the taste were there.  Its a definite on the make again list. I want to try it with a fruit flavored yogurt next time.


Cream Cheese-

2 cups plain low fat yogurt
4 pieces of cheese cloth.
Put yogurt into cheese cloth, tie shut and hang over a bow in the fridge over night.  you get cream cheese when all the liquid is out of the yogurt. Tangy but good.


My Recipe:
Poppers
(no picture...they were eaten before i could snap off a shot)
take 1/4 cup of the cream cheese
1/2 cup low fat shredded cheddar cheese
1 egg white
1 tbs garlic
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp Worcestershire
8-10 jalapeno peppers

Mix all of the above (reserve peppers) ..Stuff the peppers with the cream cheese. Cook uncovered for 15-20 minutes at 410 degrees, cheese will begin to brown on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment