Saturday, November 19, 2011

Sprouting a love

I love to cook. I love to eat. I love bean sprouts. What i dont love is the inability in norther Pa to find fresh bean sprouts that dont cost an arm and a leg. Well I found the cure to my sprout pains. I grew my own. Its extreemly simple. I am not sure why i didn't do it before.

Bean Sprouts

All you need are large glass canning jars, small squares of cloth, rubber bands, water and 1/4 cup of beans or lentils. I chose organic lentals. 1 bag at wegmans costs 2.50$ (bean sprouts cost 3.49 this is already cheaper) 

add 1/4 cup of the lentils/beans to the jar and fill the jar with water. Let set for 24 hours. Drain off  the water thoroughly and cover the top of the jar with cloth and secure with a rubber band.  Rinse the bean/lentils twice a day. I did once in the morning when i cleaned up breakfast and once around dinner clean up time. Do this for 5 days. And miraculously sprouts will appear.  I like lentil sprouts. I eat them raw, or cooked. If your sprouts are a bit pale in color put them in the windowsill for a day or two. Once they are about 1/2 inch long they are ready to eat.


Its interesting to note that there are about 8 jar's worth of sprout making lentils per 2.50$ bag.  soooo much cheaper than buying sprouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment